Friday, February 25, 2005

I have had such a blessed, beautifully exhausting week!! God is so good in working out the details and timing in our life and He SO wants to bless us!!

I have a dear friend in Illinois who's due date was the 21st. We had tried 18 months ago, for the birth of her first son, for me to be there and assist with the labor and birth, but it was not to be. He was being stubborn and I had to get back home, so I spent part of her labor on the phone with her and then drove out the next morning to spend the 1st day with them. This time there just didn't seem to be any good time for me to get out there for a few days, we just couldn't spare the vehicle (4 drivers-2 pickups!!) and so many commitments, I just wasn't getting my hopes up. But, GOD IS SO GOOD!!!

She had been having labor on and off for a couple of weeks. I knew from looking at my schedule that Monday and Tuesday would work, but we weren't in control! I got up Monday and knew that I had to get all caught up with my bookwork and things I neglected while knitting the blessing bag last week. I got busy and the next thing I knew, it was 1:30 and I was still in my p.j's. I hadn't heard from S, which was somewhat unusual for a Monday, but I just figured they were busy and I kept going with the things I needed to get done. (Little did I know, she was nesting away, getting the house all clean.)

My hubby had an overnight load, so when the phone rang at 4:50 am the next morning, I really jumped. It was J, letting me know that S was in labor, but stuck at a 5. I still wasn't sure if I could get out there, one day was already gone. I went back to bed and prayed about it, falling into a fitfull sleep. I figured she would have the baby by 8:00 am anyway, but when I got up, I still hadn't heard from her.

I called hubby to see what he thought I should do. I had to meet him along the interstate when he came through to give him some paperwork, but he felt that the way I wanted to do it would take to long and make me get to Illinois very late and be very tired. I listened to him, got myself ready, packed, called J & S to let them know I was on my way and headed out.

It's a 4 1/2 hour drive, so I really didn't think that I would get there for the birth, but I never heard from J, so I had a little hope. When I got there, J came to the garage and told me to be quiet. I assumed she'd had the baby and everyone was resting, but he said no, he just wanted me to surprise her.

I couldn't believe how good God was and I struggled with feeling really unworthy for the blessing I was about to receive.

She was stuck at a 7.5 at this point, but with a little ******stimulation, things got rolling! It was the most amazing thing to take part in. Having my own babies was wonderful, but you are caught up in what you are feeling, the pain, the desire to hold the baby, you don't get to really experience what is taking place. To watch as S danced that baby down into position during her contractions, to see her tummy change, oh my. It was breathtaking!

We had quite a group of women, as well as J, helping her through the labor. I came to realize that a lot of cultures really have it right, having a group of women in with the laboring mom. We all had a job and instinctively knew what to do. It was a real Titus 2:3-5 experience.

As we watched little JJ's head emerge, a rush of emotions washed over me (not that the adrenaline hadn't already been pumping through my body!). Here was new life. Here was God's handiwork. To see how the body worked, to see and learn about the placenta-I realized that it really takes more faith to believe in evolution!! There is no way that chance could bring about the amazing symmetry of the birth process.

I was able to rearrange things for the next day and stay until late Wednesday afternoon. On the drive home, I again was astounded my God's beauty. I have to drive from Freeport, IL to Dubuque, IA via Hwy 20. It's a gorgeous drive, winter or summer. I was awed by all that I could see-miles and miles! As I went through the most stunning part, "I Can Only Imagine" came on. I was so humbled and awed, God is so good! I feel for all the people who choose not to accept His love and blessing, they truly don't know what they are missing. They think that living for God is a life of bondage, but in reality, it is a life of freedom!!

Please continue to pray from my friend, Sandy, and her family. She is in the final days and it is very difficult, but she knows where she will be as she closes her eyes here, they will open in Heaven!

Also, please pray for a young couple who will begin their married life together tomorrow.

No comments: