Saturday, July 15, 2006

One week to vacation!!!! Yeah!!! We are really looking forward to some R&R&R (rest, relaxation, and romance!). It is such a blessing to be married to a man that loves me, that enjoys me, that would rather spend time with me than with anyone else. Next Friday, we'll have been married 19 years and I love that we still laugh, tease, and enjoy each other.

I've been somewhat reflective lately. There is a part of me that likes to return to my youth in the summer. Favorite books, movies, music. I enjoy it, but I'm finding that it has me thinking about who I am-who I was before Christ, who I am in Christ. I've been thinking about the liberal vs. conservative thing.

I was a flaming liberal. Always wanted to be "bohemian". Flowing skirts, peasant tops (they are even back in style and I still like the style-although I'm more a t-shirts and jeans gal in reality), no makeup (I'm still clinging to that one most of the time-hubby doesn't like makeup, so that helps!), and simple hairstyles (although a little curl would be nice, but this hair of mine is so heavy that it won't hold!). I believed in feminism and I was pro-choice. Looking back, though, I realize that I was always fiscally conservative-didn't believe that the government could or should take care of everyone. I've also never been much of an environmentalist-at least, not extreme. I grew up with a grandmother who gardened organically and taught me good stewardship, but she didn't go overboard.

I think that extremism is a lot of the problem these days. Everyone is either far right or far left. Now, I'm pro-life, I believe that homosexuality is sin, that it is a behavior (not a genetic thing-we're all born with the proclivity to sin in one form or another and homosexuality is no different), I believe that free-sex for all ages, "live and let live" attitudes, and the teaching of evolution have done so much to harm our society and country. But, on the other hand, I think that those of us that are very concerned with social issues (in the sin department) have become very complacent and negligent in fulfilling the Lord's call to reach out to the poor, the hurting, the ugly. We do it in name, and we cry out against the government doing it (which they shouldn't-it's not a part of our Constitution and it should be the responsibility of families and churches), but we're not really doing it. We're to comfortable.

Jesus ate with sinners. He shared God's kingdom with those that others thought were "worthy". He didn't pour money into the downtrodden, He poured Himself into them. He shared the ONE thing that would give them forgiveness, peace, relief, hope, and help. I don't believe that money is the answer to anything. Christ is!! If we share Christ, people can get through anything with Him. He can leave them as paupers, but He can also prosper them beyond anything they could have imagined. Does that mean that if they don't put their faith in Christ that we don't help them? On some levels, we probably shouldn't, especially if they are hostile to the Gospel, but, at the same time, in order to show the true love of God, we should do all that we can to love them.

I don't agree with the liberals ideas of just throwing money at the problem and keeping people victims. That does more harm than good, but it seems that their motives are sort of in the right place-some of the time. ----- So where is all this coming from. Well, I've watched "Dirty Dancing" and I've done a little research and I've watched it with a more discerning eye. I've always noticed the illegal abortion and I've always caught the pro-abortion spin. You know, this is what happened before Roe v Wade and wasn't it a shame. Rather than addressing the behavior (which seems to have been born out of the characters desire to just be loved), they address the need for social acceptance of their solution to the problem. Of course, they never really address how the character feels about the baby being ripped from her, but if they did that, they would have to acknowledge that it was a baby. But, there also a current of '60's liberalism running under the main plot, which is just how the liberal author wanted it to be. That's her right, it's her movie, I just never really noticed it before.

I'm not sure where I'm going with all this, but I do know that we've strayed. No one wants to be a sinner or say that their behavior is sinful. We want to justify it, reason about it, make it okay, but God's Word is clear-sin is sin! No matter what pretty packaging we wrap it up in, no matter the emotions behind it, no matter what the world is saying. That being said, I do believe that it's important to understand the "other side's" reasoning. I believe that it's good to know your enemy, send in spies, so to speak. Some of our "enemies" are truly against the things of God, but others are just hurting, deceived, burdened people (just like I was before Jesus!) and we need to be responsive to that.

I feel as those I've really rambled. My thoughts are still all over the board on this one. I've been reading in Isaiah and that does bring some clarity, I know that God's Word is absolute truth and it explains everything that we see, everyday. I know that He is doing something in me, leading me somewhere, I'm just not sure what or where yet. I know that He is going to use all that He has brought me through to get me where He wants me, though!

On a lighter note, we're starting to put in new windows in the house-one by one, with the first one today. I'll be judging textiles at our county fair this afternoon. My 4th year. I guess I must do a good job. It's going to be a hot one though, mid-'90's.

No comments: