Sunday, January 30, 2011

Again, life has taken a sharp turn.  The kind of turn that makes us sit back and contemplate that which is truly important.  Yesterday, just out of the blue, a young man took his own life.  This young man was the husband of a sweet, young friend of mine.  He was the daddy to two small boys under the age of 4, one not even 1 yet.  This young lady has spent much time in Bible study, seeking to learn to be a Biblical wife to her husband.  She was open to counsel and willing to do what it takes to make a marriage work. 

Yesterday, that was abruptly changed. 

I doubt that anyone will ever truly know why he made the decision he did.  Something hurt so badly inside of him, he felt the need to give up trying. 

It makes me so very sad.  I have dealt with the depths of depression.  I have, at times, contemplated suicide, but so many factors brought me back from the brink.  I understand anxiety.  I understand insecurity, to the point of being irrational and swept up in it.  I can even understand feeling so despondent that I saw no other option, but then I would see the face of my husband, see the faces of my children, receive a phone call from a dear friend or loved one and realize just what I would be giving up.  We'll never know why those things weren't enough to prevent him from giving up.  All we can do is cling to God and cling to each other, especially the sweet woman who so strongly desired to make her marriage all God said it could be. 

There is a long road ahead, it awaits her and her precious boys.  I pray that she will cling to her faith and to those who love and care about her.

Psalms 30:11-12 (NIV)
You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.

1 comment:

Four Little Arrows said...

It is nice to see that in words. I can't seem to get my feeling out on paper right yet. Praise God for His faithfulness, mercy, and grace. Without them, we are all hopeless.