Saturday, January 15, 2011

I spent yesterday getting caught up on all the little things I have a tendency to put off-arranging some itunes items, paying taxes, cleaning up my desk. Those sorts of things, which, of course, put me behind on dishes, laundry, etc.! So, those chores are for today!

I've been spending some time reminiscing about a dear old friend from a few years ago that I used to blog about. She has serious mental health issues and I have no idea where she is today. It makes me sad. I know that God is watching over and protecting her, but I pray that she is able to get the help that she needs. I know that this side of heaven she's never going to realize just how much she means to me and how much she impacted my life. She needed me and my family in a great big way, but now I find myself wondering what it is that I'm supposed to be doing in service to God. Maybe, for right now, I'm right where I'm supposed to be and ministering to those right here, but her memory will always keep me aware that there are damaged and hurting people ALWAYS in our midst.

As believers in Jesus Christ, I think sometimes that it is very easy to get overwhelmed when thinking about serving others, trying to reach out in your community, meeting others needs, but it doesn't have to be that complicated. Some days it's all I can do to muster up a smile, but I know that if I do the check-out lady at Wal-mart may just feel a bit better about herself and her situation. If I can smile at the person in front of me in line with a cart that's overflowing and I just have a few items and this is the only checkout open, I can make that person in front of me not feel like a nuisance because if the situation were reversed, I wouldn't like being made to feel that way.

I think that these tiny things honor God. He knows our own pains and struggles and knows that it can be hard for us to serve on a big scale, but just a simple smile, just a word of encouragement, just a gentle touch of a hand can mean the world to someone. It's my hope that I can be that kind of person this year. I want to build-up not tear down.

Proverbs 15:30 (AMP)
The light in the eyes [of him whose heart is joyful] rejoices the hearts of others, and good news nourishes the bones.




No comments: